Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Visit with Me-Maw


This past weekend I went with my sister and my mom to Louisville, Kentucky to visit my great-grandmother, Me-Maw, who is 101 years old! The trip was short, but I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I hate to admit it, but it was really the first time I'd ever sat down and visited with her. I can only remember one other trip out there as a child. In talking to her, I was shocked by her incredibly sharp mind. She'll vividly describe her memories while rattling off the exact names, dates, colors, tastes, smells - you name it. It's amazing to imagine what someone has experienced over the course of 100 years, and more incredible for them to have a clear memory of it all. Me-Maw grew up memorizing poetry for fun...that has to have been part of her secret. She really is an incredible woman and I am so glad I was able to see her. I've decided I need to rethink some of my leisurely activities, anyone know of some good poetry books...

4 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I'm so glad you guys got to make it out there! That would be so neat to visit with her and it's amazing how well she remembers! Dan always tires to memorize quotes etc. that must be where he heard about it. I think I need to try her secret too.

Anonymous said...

that is so amazing she is over 100 years old and can still have a memory like that! You have some good genes!

Heather said...

Wow 101! she looks great! I am glad you got the chance to visit with her.

Veronica said...

I'm so glad you got to see your Me-Maw! I'm sure you will always treasure that time. I know I do when I get to see my grandma, which isn't often, since she lives in Pennsylvania. So, cool. I bet she has some great stories.